We welcome you to the website of the Cyprus Writers Union.
The Cyprus Writers Union was established in Nicosia in 1978 with the following main objectives:
- The organised presence of writers in the Cyprus Society, their contribution to the development of cultural life and the safeguarding of the democratic institutions of the place.
- The protection and promotion of the Cypriot writers’ interests.
- The prominence and disseminationof Cyprus Literature both within the country and abroad.
- The creation of solidarity and cooperation among Cypriot writers, and also between them and foreign writers.
- The development of cooperation between the CWU and other bodies of the country’s cultural life.
Since 2000, CWU has been a member of the European Writer’s Council (its members are over fifty organisations from 34 European countries) and they even organized the MARE NOSTRUM III in Cyprus, in 2004, with great success. At that time, an important resolution for the reunification of our country and the termination of the occupation was adopted. CWU participates every year at the annual convention of the European Writers’ Council, and it has a saying and opinion on important decisions taken. In parallel, members of ours have participated in numerous conferences and literary meetings abroad.
The main target of the Cyprus Writers Union is to expand its activities and its events, to reach a wider audience and to approach the young generation of our country, in an effort for the designation of the educational role of literature as well as its social dimension.